Journey to the World Cup: Day 3

5:03 PM Unknown 0 Comments

One of the best days of my life.

9am-12:45pm - My dad and I woke up early to go to the MaracanĂ£, the most historic stadium in the world. France and Germany were playing at 1pm, but we didn't have tickets yet, so we spent almost four hours walking around trying to secretly ask for tickets. Meanwhile, people were getting arrested left and right for trying to sell. By 12:45, my dad and I agreed that it was probably best to just go to Copacabana Beach and watch the game there (I know, our lives are so hard). So we hopped in a taxi surrounded by security guards at 12:50. But by some incredible stroke of luck, the two guys getting out of the car answered "Yes" when we asked them if they had two tickets. Not wanting to get arrested, my dad and I got in the taxi with them and we told the driver to drive in a giant circle. During this short drive, we negotiated our way into acquiring the two tickets (for only about 50% above face value), and I was ecstatic. I was going to the MaracanĂ£.

1-3pm - As soon as we exited the taxi, we both ran as quickly as possible into the stadium. Once I found my section, I went into the bathroom to put on my Perry the Platypus costume, then went to find my seat. The game was everything I've ever imagined it would be: Incredible passion, loud chanting, and tons of people taking pictures with me, the weird dinosaur guy. I'm honored to say that I've now been to THE soccer stadium.

3-4pm - Once the game ended, my dad and I did our whole running thing again, which this time helped us get to the taxis before most people did. We took a ride to Copacabana for the FIFA Fan Fest, which is basically a giant block party to view the World Cup games. And today's was enormous, because Brazil played Colombia at 5 o'clock.

5-11pm - The game went from 5-7, and it was an absolute blast. Tens of thousands of people filled the Fan Fest area, and even more filled the streets to watch the game on all the big TVs. Brazil won the game and clinched a spot in the semifinal, which caused absolute pandemonium. For hours after the game ended, what started as a viewing party turned into the world's largest fraternity party, and it was as insane/fun as it sounds. Beautiful women and handsome men all around me were lifting each other up, screaming into each other's faces, and dancing.


11-11:30pm - Spent thirty minutes in a Brazilian restaurant, watching Brazilian Harlem Shake videos. Gotta love those American imports. 

From being one minute away from not being able to get into the MaracanĂ£, to dancing the night away with random people who were just impressed that I could form sentences in Portuguese, to the random Mexican girl at the Fan Fest who said "Happy 4th of July!" to me, today will live on in my memory forever.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: